Saturday, October 04, 2008

Personal Matters

No blogging day. Yesterday was a rare day without blogging for me. I just couldn't wrap my brain around the Biden/Palin debate again.

The Piano Lesson from Hell. I started with a new piano teacher yesterday. The bottom line--he's really good, I'm really nowhere. I've got to start over with my scales and trying to get my stubby little fingers to play legato. Damn.

Papers to Grade--A tough weekend ahead. I've got 50 papers to grade, about 5 pages apiece on average. Given that I assign take-home essay exams, I have no one to blame but myself. As I noted before, the papers themselves look good. About a third of them would be "A" papers anywhere in the country.

A Great Day--It's a crisp, cool autumn day outside. I don't think there will be the usual spectacular fall colors this year. It's too dry. But I still love the turn toward cooler weather. It crackles with energy.

The Month Ahead--I don't know about anybody else, but I'm looking at two grant applications, revising an article, a couple of job applications, and finishing the government faculty's response to the audit. By the time my sabbatical starts in mid-December, I'll be thoroughly fried.

Campaign Contributions--I've decided to take the big step of contributing $100 to the Obama campaign. Everybody should dig deep for Obama. Money is one of Obama's real advantages and we should help all we can. I need to ask Mrs. RSI before I go through with it though.

Onward and Upward!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Job applications?

Anonymous said...

You're not going to leave Morehead, are you Dr. Caric?

Anonymous said...

You post these comments, but choose not to respond. I have seen you respond to much less. There are a lot of students in the government department that have no choice but to go here, and you are *ahem* the saving graces for our college education. Respond to the posts, rather than just publishing them to feed your ego. Your pretentiousness is one of the reasons I enjoy your classes, but there isn't a need for it here.

Ric Caric said...

I assume that you're talking about my applying for jobs.

But I'm not sure I've got a lot to say.

I've been applying for jobs every once in a while for several years and have gotten some interest.

But applying for academic jobs is always a crapshoot. So, it's not like I'm on the verge of leaving Morehead State or anything.

That's all there is.