Sunday, November 09, 2008

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like . . .

Now that the election is over, Christmas is already in the air. Stores have Christmas decorations out, families are nailing down their Christmas travel plans, and the RSI family is thinking about breaking out their traditional Rocking Santa dolls.

Unlike Mrs. RSI, I'm not one of the people who gets grouchy that Christmas starts before Thanksgiving and even before Halloween. If anything, I wish the Christmas season were longer. How many seasons of generosity and good will do we get to have in the United States?

But what about Thanksgiving? It looks like Thanksgiving is going to gradually slip into the netherworld of Veterans Day, Colombus Day, Flag Day, President's Day and the other holidays that everyone acknowledges but hardly anybody celebrates.

Even though the turkey is good, Thanksgiving just doesn't have enough the commercial, patriotic, or religious punch needed to stand up to the Christmas dynamo.

Anyway . . .

"It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of christmas (and the thereafter), I started getting my schedule for the spring semester in order and couldn't help but noticing you were not teaching any classes. Are you taking an entire semester off to celebrate Obama's inaugeration or have you decided to follow lead and teach elsewhere?

Ric Caric said...

I am on sabbatical next semester although I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to escape the audit.

Anonymous said...

That is a relief. We don't have enough quality teachers to lose the ones we have.

a said...

Bah humbug! I'm with the Missus. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday (no presents, just time to reflect and be with family and friends). There is plenty of time for all the Christmas merriment afterward. I love Christmas as much as the next gal, but it needs to wait its turn.

Ric Caric said...

I don't know. As a parent, I really like giving presents, playing Rocking Santa with the kids, and watching super-sentimental Christmas movies (except for It's a Wonderful Life--I've always wanted to get a "Jump, George, Jump" bumper sticker).

Thanksgiving means an evening with the in-laws and their friends and the inevitable game of charades. Now, my in-laws are great and they're certainly better than my own family. But it doesn't grab me the way Christmas does.