Monday, February 04, 2008

The Obama/Hillary Smackdown

The 51-49 Solution: I can't believe that Rebecca Traister of Salon is the only person who is undecided about the Democratic primaries. I think a lot of people are 51-49 between Obama and Hillary in their own heads. Obama has made his case for the importance of being inspiration and he's convincing. So is Hillary Clinton's argument for the importance of a hard-headed approach to the right. Whether Obama or Hillary wins, I don't think the other Democrat is being repudiated. That's why a Hillary/Obama or Obama/Hillary ticket could be in the works. Democratic voters might demand it.

From a Sample of One. Whenever I muse about the future, I think about one student who thinks of the "standard path" of going to college, getting a job, and raising kids as the equivalent of a death sentence. Because of the similarity between this student and the "alienated youth" studied by Kenneth Kenniston in the late fifties, I wonder if there isn't a bigger explosion developing under the surface of American society than we currently acknowledge. If Obama represents a return to the Kennedyesque optimism characterizing the early sixties, I wonder if a cultural revolution like the late sixties isn't right around the corner again.

A Bad Feeling. I'm sticking with my previous analysis of the Democrats. Nobody knows who's winning, but the dynamic is easy to identify. Hillary may still be ahead or she might have slipped behind. But her support is very fragile and might easily fall apart in the face of the Obama surge.

Does My Gut Have Shit for Brains? The John Cusack character thought his gut had "shit for brains" in High Fidelity. Hopefully, that's the case with my gut as well, because my gut feeling is that Obama is turning the corner on Hillary Clinton and might rack up an impressive set of victories tomorrow. Given that I'm a Hillary supporter, I really hope I'm wrong. Here's to keeping hope alive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it weren't for the high negatives Hillary has, i could see your point. But I think it may be best in confronting the Repubs. if our party has Obama at the head while Hillary takes the back seat.

jinchi said...

I don't see Hillary taking the second seat on an Obama 2008 ticket, it would be seen as a major step down for her and I'm not sure it would benefit him in any case.

There's a bit more logic to a Clinton/Obama ticket, but his advantages as an orator and an inspirational advocate for change would be lost.

My guess is they'd both look outside for a V.P. pick

Anonymous said...

I don't see what having a preacher for president will do for America,thePope is inspiring but he can't change the world. At least Hillary will fight and go toe to toe when she has too, she's already proven her self.