Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A Culturally Conservative Moment, or Two

My family doesn't have television. Mrs. RSI and I decided that there was too much emotional intensity, too much sex, and too much violence on tv for kids. Too much for adults as well. I was particularly addicted to cop shows.

Since we got rid of television service, I've gradually lost my tolerance for a lot of the violence and humiliation motifs of movies as well. As a result, I've never been able to watch much of the Sopranos. It was too intense, too gruesome, too shocking, too humiliating.

And I'm glad I can't. There's been a lot of comment about Soprano nemesis Phil Leotardo's head being run over by a car in the final episode. In the final analysis, I'm a better person for no longer getting a thrill out of that sort of thing.

No comments: