Thursday, May 10, 2007

Best Wishes to Tammy Faye Baker

It appears that Tammy Faye Bakker Messner of Praise the Lord and Jim Bakker fame is dying from cancer. There's a note on Fox that she's down to 65 pounds and is now refusing more chemotherapy.

I lived in Chapel Hill, North Carolina from 1976 to 1981 pretty close to the height of Jim and Tammy's Praise the Lord television show and ministry and visited the Heritage USA complex that brought Jim Bakker down when I was living in Charlotte.

With her heavy make-up and bubbly personality, Tammy Faye was easy to stereotype as a religious bimbo. However, I always found Tammy Faye to be sincere and kind of winning even though I'm an atheist. I was particularly moved by her testimony once that she converted to Christianity when she felt the "love of God" come over her. I thought that a sincere and affecting testimony even though I don't believe that there is a god to love her. Love is an important thing to be able to feel and Tammy Faye's testimony to the love she felt had an honest directness to it that I found moving.

Best wishes to Tammy Faye at this difficult time. I hope she pulls through.

No comments: