Friday, June 08, 2007

Breaking Paris Hilton

In the kids movie "Big Fat Liar," Kaylee made this final speech as the good guys were getting ready to ruin and humiliate the villain, Hollywood director Marty Wolfe (played by Paul Giamatti).
We are talking complete physical and psycho-emotional breakdown, people; I want to see a broken man; I'm talking broken like I just threw a baseball through your window broken. Snap him like a twig; Squeeze him like a bug; I want you to turn him into mincemeat and I don't even know what mincemeat is; I want him to scream for his mommy. Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!

I was reminded of this movie when I saw today's stories on Paris Hilton returning to jail. Just like the movie audience wanted to see Marty Wolfe's "complete physical and psycho-emotional breakdown," the television audience has wanted to see Paris Hilton broken. And that 's what we got today. She cried throughout the hearing called to determine whether she was going back. In fact, she was physically shaking. That sounds like "psycho-emotional breakdown to me." She even called "Mom" after the judge made his decision.

According to one of the city attorneys, Paris Hilton's “release after only three days erodes confidence in the judicial system.” Actually, the whole spectacle of receiving a 45 day jail term for violating probation for "reckless driving," remanded to home custody, and then dragged back to prison has been eroding my confidence in the judicial system.

Paris Hilton was on the mark when she yelled "it's not right" as she was led away. It's disgusting.

No comments: