Sunday, March 09, 2008

I'd Pay For Do-Over in Florida and Michigan

I can get behind the Democratic Party doing the Florida and Michigan primaries over. It's the only way to be fair to the Michigan and Florida Democrats whose votes are currently being shut out from the process.

Even more importantly, the do-over would continue the tremendous excitement and enthusiasm that's the Democrats into June. It would raise a lot of cash as well. According to James Carville, it would cost $30 mill to hold the do-over primaries. My bet is that the Hillary and Obama campaigns would be able to raise double that for Florida and Michigan campaigns. I know I'd kick in $50 dollars a so.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that Hillary would have an advantage in both states going in. Holding a do-over in Michigan and Florida would also give Hillary a chance to show that she can go hermana a hermano with Obama in a couple of important swing states and win.

Let's get it done.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Florida can vote as many times as they want and they still wont get it right. It is embarrassing. Then there is talk that Mr. Wonderful Al Gore may be the one to broker the conventions. Please, this soap opera of an election has no where to go but from bad to worse. Of course, they will just blame it on Ralph again if there are problems. This is no democracy -- superdelegates and all. Then we cry about Putin politics in Russia. Geez, and the cost of it all is putting America on the map. Isn't freedom grand!

Anonymous said...

Seems like a do-over is the only good option left. If the superdelegates decide this thing, I'll quit the party. I think a lot of others will too. It is just so stupidly undemocratic and I'd actually be embarrassed to continue calling myself a Democrat. I'd rather be an independent.

Anonymous said...

Oh get off it, Caric. You don't give a rat's ass about MI and FL voters being disenfranchised. You just want your favorite empty suit (Shrillary) to win.

Ric Caric said...

"Shrillery?"--how clever. Anyone who checks out my posts knows that I've wanted and supported a highly competitive race for the Democratic nomination. Having a do-over in Florida and Michigan would be such a good thing that I'm willing to help pay for it myself.

jinchi said...

A revote in Michigan and Florida would be ideal, but for God's sake the states should find public funds for the election. This isn't a charity raffle and $30 million dollars is a drop in the bucket compared to the state budget.

Here's Florida's - which if I'm reading correctly comes out to about $69 billion this year.

http://peoplesbudget.state.fl.us/(S(njnrwq55bjfoyf45sthmwync))/bdagencies.aspx?full=