Monday, June 02, 2008

Ted Kennedy Joins Hole in the Head Club

RSI wishes Ted Kennedy well in his recovery from brain surgery to remove a cancerous tumor.

We also welcome Sen. Kennedy to the "Hole in the Head" club.

Generally speaking, brain surgery requires drilling through a person's skull. Given that the hole created by the drilling never heals, the brain surgery patient has a permanent hole in their head.

I know this might surprise some people, but I've had a hole in my head for almost 54 years. As a stripling of 7 months, I had brain surgery to remove two blood clots that had developed after a fall off a bed.

When my skull was x-rayed after a concussion more than 40 years later, it turned out that I still had the hole from the brain surgery.

Since then, it's practically been raining brain surgery in Morehead. First, it was Rosemary Johnson's husband Donnie getting brain surgery to correct some wiring problems in his blood vessels. In rapid succession, Jason Holcomb needed brain surgery after getting tangled up in a dog leash and falling EXACTLY the wrong way while another friend needed to have brain surgery for much the same reason as Teddy Kennedy.

So, the "Hole in the Head Club" was born.

Brain surgery is much more routine now than when RSI had his done in 1954. At that time, the curmudgeonly Dr. King practically bragged to my parents that ninety percent of his patients died.

Great bedside manner there.

And now Ted Kennedy's in the "Hole in the Head Club" as well.

Maybe I should send him a t-shirt.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you ever stop and think that maybe this post is a little callous?

I know you didn't intend it to sound this way, but it does look like you are minimizing Sen. Kennedy's condition.

But go ahead and delete this comment too since you probably disagree with it.

Ric Caric said...

Is this a comment from one of the RSI Stalkers? If you're one of the stalkers, you should own up to it and I'll delete the comment.

Otherwise, I'll let it stand.

Anonymous said...

No, I'm not a "stalker," but I think you know you are out of bounds on this one.

You're better than this, Ric.

Ric Caric said...

I don't know why I'm "out of bounds" here. Humor is very therapeutic and my comments on Kennedy were affectionate (in a manly kind of way of course) and inclusive in the sense that I was associating him with myself and other people I know who have had brain surgery. Treating Kennedy as "one of us" is neither insensitive or demeaning.

Anonymous said...

You think brain surgery is funny?