Friday, April 25, 2008

The Terrorist I Know

I was interested today in John McCain's demand that Barack Obama apologize for his friendly relations with William Ayers, an "unrepentant" former member of the Weather Underground.

Actually, I know and am "fairly" friendly with a member of the Weathermen myself. Cathy Wilkerson is the sister of a local friend of mine and I've met her three or four times at gatherings where we've talked about stuff like how her daughter was doing in college. Everybody really likes her partner Tip.

But does being friendly with someone mean you know anything about them. Not in the case of Cathy Wilkerson. I've never been interested in 60's radicalism and haven't read anything about the SDS or Weathermen since I went through Kirkpatrick Sale's SDS as an undergraduate. That also means that I haven't read our copy of Wilkerson's own book Flying Too Close to the Sun.

I imagine that Barack Obama wasn't too interested in the past of William Ayres either.

No comments: