Sunday, December 30, 2007

At the Risk of Offending My Conservative Friends

We spent Christmas Eve and Christmas with Mrs. RSI's mom in Venice, FL and got to watch a lot more television than a family without a TV usually watches. I was very interested to see that the Boston Pops Christmas special didn't contain any references to Jesus.

But they did end with an inspiring rendition of "Let There Be Peace on Earth." So did the Christmas program at the community center for the complex we stayed at.

So, at the risk of offending my warmongering conservative friends, here's a video of a Mahalia Jackson performance and the lyrics to "Let There Be Peace on Earth."

Let There Be Peace on Earth
Let there be peace on earth,
and let it begin with me.
Let there be peace on Earth,
the peace that was meant to be.

With God as our Father,
brothers all are we,
Let me walk with my brother,
in perfect harmony.

Let peace begin with me,
let this be the moment now.
With every step I take,
let this be my solemn vow,

To take each moment and live each moment
in peace, eternally.
Let there be Peace on Earth,
and let it begin with me.

A further note: Ms. Teen RSI thought it would be best to pose Stephen Colbert singing this song with a group of Guantanamo prisoners and then have Jon Stewart and some cops break into the room, arrest Colbert, and carry him off to be waterboarded. Maybe next Christmas.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm horribly offended by this blog post!!! Being such a staunch conservative I find it very appalling you would imply that Jesus is being phased out of Christmas. Having read your previous posts on the matter I find you to be the Anti-Christ and will shortly be launching a campaign to excise the demon that most clearly has possessed you (with the help of my Southern baptist friends, and the spirit of Jerry Falwell). How else could you be such a heretic?

On a side note, I hope you don't take that seriously :P