Wednesday, August 01, 2007

A Note on Beauty in Kentucky

Today's the thirteenth birthday of my older daughter. It's a big deal and we started the day by singing happy birthday to her at 7:00am. It would be a bigger deal at home if she hadn't spent nine hours playing percussion at band camp. But they sang happy birthday there as well.

After she was born, one of the many lights that went off in my head was the ability to see the full beauty of our neighborhood for the first time. We live just off North Wilson Avenue in Morehead, KY. Our section of the street runs at a narrow point in the "holler" and the houses have such a lush combination of trees, bushes, and grass that the rich green colors seem to be pulsating. It's a literal effect created by the way the various shades of green play off each other in the eye as one drives north on the stree. It's a beauty that I sometimes find overwhelming as I drive up the street, but I never would have seen it if my children hadn't been born.

The effect of the green would be even more overwhelming than it already seems if it weren't for the flowers. Currently blooming are the Rose of Sharon bushes which can be found up and down the street. While providing relief from the power of green color, the pinkish and white colors of the Rose of Sharon flowers look especially delicate themselves.

And I would never would have noticed these beauties if my younger daughter had not started picking Rose of Sharon flowers for her fourth-grade teachers last year while we were waiting for her school bus.

If I remember correctly, the Rose of Sharon blooms continuously for at least two or three months and my daughter was picking flowers into October.

I'll have to check to see if I was right there.

3 comments:

United We Lay said...

A girl drummer! That's grea I've been trying to convince my husband that he has to teach our girl (if we have one) the drums just like he has been teaching our son.

Anonymous said...

I once bought a cutting of a Rose of Sharon for a dollar at a local fair. Two years later it looked like the greatest investment I ever made. They are wonderful bushes.

On a different note, when I went to band camp and we had our nine hour practice days, the trombone would feel a little heavy toward the end of the morning session...until I saw the percussionists. Your daughter must be one strong lady to carry any drum for that long...and in the heat!

Anonymous said...

It's harder than just carrying them around. I have known a lot of musicians. My closest friend is a musician though drums are not his primary instrument. He does have a drum-set and he can play very very well by ear. I am quite awed the the variety of his talent really. Someone out there may know him. His name is Jared Mckinney.

Anyway, what I was going to say is I have on a few occasions sat behind a drum-set and attempted to simply keep up with the beat of a song. Could not do it!! Percussionists therefore have a talent that some of us lack. They can get different hands to do different things simultaneously. So hats off to your dauhghter.