Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Life, And All That Jazz

I was reminded of that line from the movie All That Jazz today, but pretty much in the opposite way of the movie.

1. Being a teenager. Perhaps the biggest thing is that my oldest daughter has her first performance with the school marching band at the county fair this evening. With nine hours of practice per day during band camp and another three hours of playing in the heat last week, marching band is pushing her in a way she hasn't been pushed before.

Not that she's really noticed herself, but her first performance with the band tonight at the fair will be its own rite of passage.

Sort of brings a tear to my eye.

2. Becoming a FUD. That's what one of my friends derisively called me when I got my Ph.D. at UNC-Chapel Hill. And I accepted the derision. Becoming a professor meant a lot because it was an avocation I had long worked for, and long longed for as well. But receiving my Ph. d. was just another step on the road.

Not so with my colleague who defended her dissertation today. That woman definitely had her doctor on when she called after her defense!! Mega-Congrats.

3. Sometimes the light shines brightest. While on my way back from lunch, I saw a friend who's been fighting ovarian cancer for the last two years or so. Gotta love her. She's always been a big personality but her light seems to shine even brighter with her illness. It's like she's putting even more energy into being here.

Well, the lovely Mrs. RSI just came home and it's time to go to the fair.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't curious? Almost no one comments on the posts about day-to-day life. Perhaps they find it easier to revile someone they cannot personalize.
Congrats to your daughter on her hard work. Drums are tough.
And isn't amazing how we think we are doing our friends a favor when they are ill and when we leave, we realize they made our day a little better. That is how it was with my father's first cousin Phyllis Mayo Hoppman. She fought an ultimately losing battle with lung cancer but through it all no one ever left her presence feeling bad.
Thanks for reminding me of her. And when you see Greg Goldey again, please tell him he is in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

todd - I do not revile you. I think you are wrong and misguided. You, on the other hand, clearly think that anyone that does not agree with you is a racist, sexist, homophobe, under the control of the Darkkk Lord. Reviling is part of your repetoire.

Anonymous said...

If I didn't hold fast to my convictions, I would have no right to speak. I don't revile you folks either. I just don't get why you are so confrontational about every little thing.

Anonymous said...

Confrontational? Go read you posts, and descriptions of policies you happen to disagree with, and then come back here and tell me who is being confrontational.

Anonymous said...

You know something, you're right...about my flaws. They are the result of losing someone very dear to me. I agree with my positions but I do apologize for any insult to those on the right of the political sprectrum. I guess I contribute to the problem and the person I lost would no doubt agree. I will discontinue my comments here. I believe strongly that I have made accurate statements but I am also certain that I have made them in such a way as to discredit both Ric and those of you who disagree with us. I am sad and bitter... and at the moment very drunk. But that's not your problem. My apoligies to Ric and anyone else whom I may have offended. This has been a trying time for me and I took it out on everyone. To steal a phrase, "Good night and good luck."