Thursday, April 19, 2007

Cho Seung-Hui: Bad Poet Murderer

WATCHING THE CHO VIDEO. Not wanting to "honor" Cho Seung-hui's memory by watching his video, I resisted watching the Cho video for 24 hours. However, temptation got the better of me and I've just watched the CNN version.

I have to admit I'm kind of disgusted with myself. So what do I think about it?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but what an asshole! I can see where Nikki Giovanni could refer to Cho as "mean" rather than "troubled." She could have added "snearing," "arrogant," and "stupid" as well. Evidently a fan of his own writing, Cho's constructed his video rant as poetry, really bad poetry--the kind of low-rent chiches that you would see from a villain in a Rutger Hauer or Dolph Lundgren movie. Here's a couple of examples.

Do you know what it feels like to be spit on your face and have trash shoved down your throat
Do you know what it feels like to dig your own grave
Do you know what it feels like to have your throat slashed from ear to ear
Do you know what it feels like to be torched alive
Do you know what it feels like to be humiliated and be set upon a cross and left to bleed to death for your amusement


You had a hundred billion chances and ways to avoid today
But you decided to spill my blood


In the second passage, Cho sounds like the murderer version of a professional wrestler. It's disgusting. It would have been disgusting if Cho hadn't murdered 32 people, but it's even more disgusting because he did.


No comments: