Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Test of Spring

THE SETTING. Looming magnificence. It's 70 degrees and sunny in Morehead, KY. The grass is green. The woods look like their ready to burst with new growth and new colors are bursting out as our pussy willow tree, forcythia bush, and daffodils are already in bloom. The explosion of spring beauty on North Wilson Avenue is about to commence. Even the leaves on the trees will have a dazzling effect.

THE POLLEN. But, there's a price to pay and that price is allergies. The pollen starts circulating as soon as the blooms begin. Even at this early stage, the stuff gets inside our air-conditioned cocoon of a house and today I had my first allergy sneeze of the spring. And as the spring bloom develops, all those dazzling trees and flowers produce an unbelievable amount of pollen--sometimes, there's an inch or so on our cars in the morning and the air is thick and sweet with it all day long.

THE TEST. The question is whether I still have what it takes to appreciate the springtime even after I descend into the allergy hell of having my head so full of snot that I can barely remember my name. That's the test of springtime in Eastern Kentucky. Almost everybody I know has allergies and most people who move here begin having allergies pretty quickly. That's the price we pay for the beauty of the place.

But am I willing to pay that price again this year?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a really beautiful day out here in my neck of the woods. Spring is a rather uplifting time. I wish you weren't bombarded by the pollen, so you could better enjoy this time of year as well.

Ric Caric said...

Thanks. I guess there's a price to be paid for everything.