Thursday, March 01, 2007

Spring is in the Air!

On Tuesday, I saw the first sign of spring on the Morehead State campus--the re-emergence of the Easter Egg look. In this case, it was a female student with bright pink hair, but eventually there will be a sprinkling of green, purple, orange, pink, and white bobbing on the heads of both guys and women. Among the college students I've known, bouncing bright hair is an exercise in the expansion of one's persona. It's as if the hair color is springing itself and the young people involved into the world. It's a laughing sign of faith in the future and an eager anticipation of enjoyment to come.

Then today, the rain began. I know that spring rains cause tornados and flash flooding and can be incredibly destructive. Fifteen kids died today when a tornado slammed into Enterprise High School in Alabama and that's very poignant here because two of my colleagues are from the Enterprise area.

Yet, I've learned to view the spring rains as a sign of the beauty to come--of trees and plants so heavy with their blooms that they literally hang over the street bursting with colors just as outrageous as the young woman with the pink hair.

It puts a little bounce in my step just to think about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love spring and summer. It's a time of rebirth, of excitement, and most of all hope. For someone like me, it represents a time of rejuvination; darkness, coldness, and death represented by winter, replaced by sun, showers, and the possiblity of rebirth.