Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Joyous Curse of Cell Phones

I've always resisted cell phones. First of all, I don't like paying for another phone. But I also realize that I don't want my absent-minded self being responsible for not losing another valuable item. I don't like the tinny, vaguely underwater sound of people's voices over cell phones either.

Most of all, I don't like the idea of being in that much touch with people. A lot of people with cell phones are on the phone every spare second. Given that I like a fair amount of solitude myself, I hate the idea of being on the phone that much.

Unfortunately, Mrs. RSI now has a work cell phone and she and my daughter have already called me four times since she left on a one hour drive to Lexington, KY. The first call was to let me know that she was leaving town even though I had seen her car going out to the highway and waved. Then, there was a second call that was so forgettable that I forgot what it was about. I think they're just trying to annoy me.

Fortunately, Mrs. RSI didn't forget to call me a third time when she left the shopping plaza parking lot to let me know that she would be home at 6:30. I have to admit that this information was vital because I might have had a heart attack if she had returned unannounced before 8:00. Because Mrs. RSI has been on time approximately twice in our sixteen plus years together, informing me of an on-time arrival is a health necessity.

Finally, and inevitably, there was a fourth call to inform me that she and daughter would be late after all. I was worried about a heart attack for nothing.

Mrs. RSI used to be able to travel short distances without staying in phone contact throughout the day and I normally would be sort of aggravated to get a wave of phone calls over nothing.

But Mrs. RSI suffers from terminal cuteness even when she's being a typical cell phone junkie.

So, I think I'll enjoy the curse of cell phones after all.

Oops. The phone's ringing again! Gotta go!

No comments: