Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Grief of a Parent

I've never followed the career of Anna Nicole Smith very closely and I won't pretend to have done so now that she's died.

It's worth noting however that a 20 year old son of hers recently died of a drug overdose. In my experience, there is nothing that kills the spirit of a man or woman more than the death of one of their children. This is true for the 17th century when witchcraft judge Samuel Sewell recanted his role in the Salem trials after the death of an infant child. It's also true for 18th and 19th century diarist who often recorded the death of adult friends from grief soon after the deaths of their children. I suspect the same will eventually prove to be the case with Anna Nicole Smith.

Most of the commentaries I've seen on love focus on the power of romantic love between men and women. Since I've become a parent myself, I've often wondered if love for children might be an even greater force in a person's life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't pretend to know what it's like to be a parent, and I hope I never find out. But that's not the point. Anna Nicole had a tough year with the loss of her son, and I really feel bad that she's gone now. I never thought she was that great of a human being (she sure did some crazy things) but she was still a mother to her son, and a symbol of American pop culture. She was a true beauty queen and I for one will miss her.