Thursday, January 25, 2007

School's Out (It Seems Like) Forever

My two kids are off from school again today. Yesterday's half inch of snow iced up last night, making things dangerous for school buses in my part of Kentucky. Originally coming from upstate New York, part of me laughs when I think of the local schools cancelling on half an inch of snow. But country roads are narrow and windy, nobody knows how to drive in icy conditions (including me anymore) and I'd just as soon everybody lived through the experience.

I have to admire the kids. The snow didn't even cover the ground completely, but they had all the winter paraphernalia out just like they lived in Montana. After a winter without snow last year, the kids were determined to take advantage of every snowflake for this year's first snow. It looked like the snow perked up some of my classes as well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. They cancel school at the drop of a hat around here. For Flu, and Flurries

--Aaron

Ric Caric said...

Not quite the drop. When I was in Chapel Hill, the public schools let out at the first sight of flurries. Here, they wait until the flurries half-way cover the ground.

Anonymous said...

I began laughing when I read about the determination you saw in your kids to take advantage of the snow, because I was walking to class the other day and saw a very tiny snowman built on the sidewalk. It seems to take a long time to grow out of that, if we ever really do. I know I appreciated how long it took whomever created it, considering the detail. I can remember (being from Harlan Co, KY) having school cancelled and taking an hour to get prepared to make a snow angel and frolic for another five minutes before returning to the house, in which I took another hour to peel off all of my layers. It was hard work, but absolutely worth it at that age! So, yes, it definitely perked me up when I saw the snow.

Ric Caric said...

Yes, a little winter is good for people.